Dwarves and Fortresses
Skill points are messy and annoying and they bother me. We won’t be using them. Instead:
- Your class normally offers you ((some number) + int) * 4 skill points at first level, where (some number) can be found on the appropriate class page listed here
- Take (some number) + int. Pick that many skills. (a complete list is here)
- For your class skills (which are listed on your class page from the link a couple bullets up), your modifier is (3 + level + ability mod).
- For cross-class skills (everything else), your modifier is (((3 + level) / 2) + ability mod), rounded down. (The math is simpler than it looks)
- If your int mod ever goes up, you get to pick another skill.
This system will probably run into trouble if anyone starts multiclassing, but we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it.